Heartbreaking note to dead wife left with bouquet of flowers at bus shelter where they met in 1950.

Neathflowers

A HEARTBROKEN widower has returned to the spot where he met his beloved wife 64 years ago.
A bouquet of flowers and an emotional note has been left at a bus shelter near Victoria Gardens in Neath.
The note said they had met at the shelter two to three weeks before Christmas in 1950.
The unknown couple then married two years after — meaning they marked their golden wedding anniversary in 2002, and their 60th wedding anniversary two years ago.

The note also said: “Joan, my beloved, passed away on 09/03/2013 and broke my heart for ever!
“Rest in peace my darling. I’ll see you soon, I'll be 87 soon so I will not be long...God Bless.”
Neath resident Simon Watkins found the flowers and note.
“I went to the bus station and there was a bunch of tulips tied to one of the benches in the shelter with a note attached to it,” he said.
In 2012 to mark St Valentine’s Day, audience development officer at Victoria Gardens, Sarah Maybery-Thomas, invited couples who met in the gardens to return.
Around 50 years ago a match-making walk called a Monkey Parade was held through the town and in Victoria Gardens.
The parade was when young single people used to walk around the gardens in order to meet one another.


No comments:

Post a Comment